Sunday, January 26, 2014

Who is JEHOVAH?


Who is JEHOVAH?

Jehovah chose his own name, one rich in meaning. “Jehovah” is understood to mean “He Causes to Become.” He is unique in all the universe, for he brought all things into existence, and he causes all his purposes to be fulfilled... 

In response Jehovah revealed a thrilling aspect of his personality, something that is related to the meaning of his name. He said to Moses: “I shall prove to be what I shall prove to be.” (Exodus 3:14) Many Bible translations here read: “I am that I am.” But careful renderings show that God was not merely affirming his own existence. Rather, Jehovah was teaching Moses—and by extension all of us—that He would “prove to be,” or choose to become, whatever was needed in order to fulfill His promises. J. B. Rotherham’s translation pointedly renders this verse: “I Will Become whatsoever I please.” One authority on Biblical Hebrew explains the phrase this way: “Whatever the situation or need . . . , God will ‘become’ the solution to that need.”

What did that mean to the Israelites? No matter what obstacle loomed before them, no matter how difficult the predicament in which they might find themselves, Jehovah would become whatever was needed in order to deliver them from slavery and bring them into the Promised Land. Surely that name inspired confidence in God. It can do the same for us today. 

( The above was taken from 'Draw Close to Jehovah' Get to know Jehovah God OUR Heavenly Father better! http://www.jw.org/ )


I am Jehovah. That is my name;
I give my glory to no one else,
Nor my praise to graven images. - Isaiah 42:8

May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah,
You alone are the Most High over all the earth. - Psalm 83:18

For your Grand Maker is as your husband,
Jehovah of armies is his name,
And the Holy One of Israel is your Repurchaser.
He will be called the God of the whole earth. - Isaiah 54:5

I am Jehovah. And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty, but with regard to my name Jehovah I did not make myself known to them. - Exodus 6:2,3

Look! God is my salvation.
I will trust and feel no dread;
For Jah Jehovah is my strength and my might,
And he has become my salvation. - Isaiah 12:2

Trust in Jehovah forever,
For Jah Jehovah is the eternal Rock. - Isaiah 26:4

Trust in Jehovah with all your heart,
And do not rely on your own understanding.
In all your ways take notice of him,
And he will make your paths straight.
Do not become wise in your own eyes.
Fear Jehovah and turn away from bad. - Proverbs 3:5-7

Those knowing your name will trust in you;
You will never abandon those seeking you, O Jehovah. - Psalm 9:10

And everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved;
For on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will be those who escape, just as Jehovah has said,
The survivors whom Jehovah calls. - Joel 2:32

The divine name, represented by the four Hebrew consonants יהוה, appears nearly 7,000 times in the Hebrew Scriptures. This translation renders those four letters, known as the Tetragrammaton, “Jehovah.” That name is by far the most frequently occurring name in the Bible. While the inspired writers refer to God by many titles and descriptive terms, such as “Almighty,” “Most High,” and “Lord,” the Tetragrammaton is the only personal name they use to identify God.

Jehovah God himself directed Bible writers to use his name. For example, he inspired the prophet Joel to write: “Everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” (Joel 2:32) And God caused one psalmist to write: “May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, you alone are the Most High over all the earth.” (Psalm 83:18) In fact, the divine name appears some 700 times in the book of Psalms alone—a book of poetic writings that were to be sung and recited by God’s people. Why, then, is God’s name missing from many Bible translations? Why does this translation use the form “Jehovah”? And what does the divine name, Jehovah, mean?

( The above was taken from:http://www.jw.org/ 'The Divine Name' which is located at 'The Bible' )



This is my name forever, and this is how I am to be remembered from generation to generation. - Exodus 3:15 ( This is my name for all time. )

No comments:

Post a Comment